Monday, August 30, 2010

joyfully broken

This semester I'm taking a class called "Drugs in Society." It is on... let me let you guess... DRUGS IN OUR SOCIETY?! Yeppers, you got it. At first I sort-of hated it because I know absolutely nothing about drugs, except what my amazing best friend (who previously was a user and dealer, but is now a crazy anointed lover of Jesus) has told me. Today, however, I had to read this U.S. Justice Department issued survey results and became completely wrecked. 2.1 million children in America have at least one parent who is a drug user or drug dependent. One in ten children in America have at least one parent who abuses substances. 2/3 of all children in foster care are there for drug-related issues. As I read these statistics, Jesus broke my heart not only for the children of these broken homes, but for the parents, for the users. It is such an effed up cycle that these children of God are trapped in. They are all trying to fill a void in their life that can only be filled with Yahweh... Tears drip down my face as I think of these beloved ones that are so lost in the reckless abandon of hopelessness. There is this line in "The Vision" that I posted last month that says, "It loves people away from their suicide leaps, their Satan games." I want the Holy Spirit within me to love people away from their drug addictions and child abuse. However I don't know that I'll necessarily be able to hang out with lots of users here at LU, but I can pray. My God is bigger than heroin. My God is greater than methamphetamine. My God is higher than weed. My God doesn't need alcohol for His children to be wasted, He let's us get drunk on the wine of the Bridegroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment